Monday, June 8, 2009
The Dentist!
So today was our trip to the "Dentist" with Luna and Sole. Luna has been one time before but Sole was new to all of this. The waiting room was full and of course as soon as we walk through the door the "Luna Drama" begins. NO MOMMY NO MOMMY NO MOMMY! I have no idea why she is screaming because the last time all they did was look at her teeth and polish them a little. So, they call their names to go back and I walk across the crowded room with my head up. All the while, Luna screaming " I DON'T WANT TO GO TO THE DENTIST, I WANT TO GO TO SAMS CLUB! As we enter the back the 750 dental assistants are looking at us like they have seen a really bad accident. Manuel was behind me with Sole and she was doing fine but I still had to stop and give the "My Children are both Autistic and will have issues being restrained in the chairs. Then the looks of pity came and the "They don't look Autistic" looks. Then they look at Manuel and I to try to figure out which one of us might be responsible for our children both being Autistic, so naturally I said "Oh, and it's his fault they are autistic" (only kidding) I get Luna to make it thru her exam but she is crying and Sole hears her and starts crying so Manuel goes by with Sole. One of the 750 assistants come to me and says, "would you like to reschedule an appt. for Sole" When she heard her sister crying she started to cry. I said NO. I will get her and you can examine her today. The assistant said " so you would rather just go ahead and reschedule it for another time? I said NO, my husband can take Luna and I will hold Sole and she will be fine. The assistant said "OK, yeah, we think it would be better to go ahead and reschedule it for another time too. (Are you following this?) So needless to say, I will be back there next Monday and I am taking a ring for myself when I leave this time! They told me when I called about scheduling appt.s for the girls that they were very familiar with Autistic children and have MANY patients that are Autistic. This is what they asked me before I left: Would you like to come to our other office where there is a playroom and toys and televisions and animals and trampolines and clowns and cake ect. First of all, if you have ever been in the company of a child on the spectrum of autism you would know that you cannot have a waiting room like that and expect the child to disconnect when their name is called to go get their teeth checked. This was the first sign of autism with my children. Other kids would stop playing and maybe even cry or wine a little when it is time to transition to something new but my children turn into the EXORCIST at transition time. I don't expect the world to cater to me and my children but I do expect them to try to understand. The number of autism in children is growing more everyday. There is little research that is being acknowledged and there is NO help from insurance companies for services. I did not choose for my children to have autism and they did not choose to have it. Please, give a family a break and try to understand, that things that are taken for granted in other children are slowly coming to mine. AMEN
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment