Thursday, February 4, 2010
Luna will be 6 years old on Sunday the 7th of February
That's right, I will be a mother to a 6 year old, a 5 year old and a 4 year old as of this coming Sunday. When people see Luna, they say WOW she has grown up so fast, doesn't time fly by. NO, it does NOT fly by, when you find out at 3 years old, that your daughter has autism, it DOES NOT fly by at all. It feels like years and years and years. I feel like Luna has been my only purpose forever. From the times when I could not even take her to reading time at the library because she wanted to spin the book rack around and around and around and not listen to the story. If she did show interest in the story, the awful child hater that read the story did not want Luna to stand so close to her, so put a piece of tape on the floor that she was not allowed to cross. On to gymnastics "mommy and me class" that did not work out because she could not wait her turn or she just wanted to be at the other side of the room playing by herself on the equipment. Then on to sing and sign class, where she wanted to play with the magnets on the women's refrigerator instead of singing and signing. Next stop, pre K. that was a no go too. She was a little butterfly, flying around the school house, not paying attention to anyone but herself, getting into projects before the class was ready to begin, eating the sidewalk off of every child's gingerbread house while they were outside at playtime, grazing at snack time when grazing was NOT allowed, not being able to enjoy the visit from the fire Department and being locked in the gated play yard because she wanted to climb on the firetruck (which every other kid was allowed) running to climb the tree instead of going to the designated play area, never participating in group time, peeing herself from crying so hard and the list goes on and on. When Luna comes down the stairs in the morning, she is a new child everyday. An evolution is taking place and she has almost become unrecognizable as an autistic. It has been a very long and difficult road with many bumps and setbacks along the way. Not to mention the time invested in trying to cure her autism. I have travelled to Doctors hours away, I have read everything I possibly can, I have listen to speakers in conferences, I have made her diet dairy free for years, I have had her tested and tutored (Thank you Ginny!) I have attempted to become social so that she could become social with other children, I have cried because of the failures and because of the miracles that have taken place with her and I have loved her more everyday of her life. She is truly a miracle child and anyone who has a child with environmental autism, never lose hope. Perseverance is the key and never giving up is a must. You will have a lot less money in your pocket because NO cure is free. I am truly a better person because God humbled me, when he gave me my children. Luna will turn 6 years old on Sunday. For the first time in her life she will know what a birthday means. She told me that she was going to be a birthday girl and then corrected herself and said "I mean, the queen of CAKE!" I said that's right, you will be the "queen of cake!" She knows that she is going to the Great Wolf Lodge with her friend Molly and her "little sisters." That's right, she has a friend and she actually plays with her. She has become the most socially friendly child ever. She loves people now and is full of questions when she meets someone new. Just for the record, that is not the typical behavior of a child with autism. This is why she will have a very special birttday to celebrate her 6 years of life and journey through autism. I am going to be the proudest mother around on Sunday. Thank you God and Thank you Buddha for giving me the most precious little butterfly in the whole world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment