Saturday, August 7, 2010

Not All Shopping Is Created Equal

So, today I had my first GOODWILL experience. For those of you who know me best, you understand that shopping means expensive or things at Marshall's that used to be expensive. So I admit, I had a blast at the GOODWILL. I cannot and will not ever be able to bring myself to wear clothes from a place like that, but you know what, never say never. I got cookbooks and some really cute things for my kitchen and I even got a book to prepare me for Zen going off to Kindergarten. They think of everything all the GOODWILL. One thing that I was amazed at was the amount of books that teach you how to cook complete meals in the microwave. There was like 25 of them. I am a heater upper and a frozen food heater, but I never thought to try to master the art of microwave cooking (and I still wont). I cant let GOODWILL change who I am. I have a friend, lets just refer to her as "J.R." she swears by the GOODWILL. She is almost as intrigued by the GOODWILL as my sister in law is. The following are my rules about my involvement with the GOODWILL:

1. I will never choose GOODWILL over Marshall's (I prefer my junk to be unused)
2. I will however make frequent stops there because in my head there is SOMETHING there that I must see.
3. I will not go with J.R. unless she promises to stay away from me in the GOODWILL because I don't want anyone there to think that we are together.
4. I will not allow myself to become obsessed with the GOODWILL store because my heart belongs to Marshall's.
5. The first time I see something of mine, that I gave a away, I will no longer shop at the GOODWILL. Once my things have come full circle the relationship is over.

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry, I have no intentions of ever including you (or anyone else, well..maybe your sister-in-law) on a trip to Goodwill. It is a sacred experience that can only be shared with those who truly believe in the almighty Goodwill. I know it is selfish, but there are is enough competition at Goodwill already..especially at the Super Saturday Everything is 50% off Sales!

    As far as seeing items that you have donated hanging on the Goodwill racks, well I LOVE it. In fact, it gives me a rush to see my unwanted items just waiting for someone to love them.

    I feel very sorry for the previous owners of the items you purchased at Goodwill. The items will obviously not be loved as much as the items you've paid an arm and a lef for from Marshalls, TJMaxx, Pier 1, etc... Unlike you, I love my Goodwill items more than anything I've purchased new. I understand the importance of recycling, loving things that are no longer loved or wanted, and most importantly the pure joy of purchasing a huge bag full of items for $5.25.

    I truly do hope that one day you will see the light. But please promise me that you will stick to the less desirable Delaware Goodwill stores.

    JR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay first of all I am now the GOODWILL ambassador. Not only will I find all of the goodies before you, I will donate while I am there. I will not , like you give my children presents from GOODWILL. I will also not lie when my child ask why everything looks dirty and old in the GOODWILL. First of all we will shop together at the GOODWILL because I am your only friend. A sacred experience cannot happen at the GOODWILL, that is proof of what you have become since you have been running with the wrong crowd. Now, take that to the hunting property!

    ReplyDelete